Monday, June 23, 2008

5 Heroes

Okay... If there is one thing I do know, it is who my heroes are. Hero is a pretty broad term in my opinion... so bear with me.



#1. Albert Einstein: If I could, I would kick it with Einstein. He is not only a super-genius, he is real. Einstein did not graduate from high school. He dropped out because his family was poor, and had to move around to survive. Even so, he wrote his first scientific article when he was 15. He is amazing. I'm not the only one who thinks so (OBVIOUSLY). He was awarded the Nobel prize in Physics in 1921. Einstein did not believe in the idea of God, but had many spiritual beliefs. My favorite quote by Einstein says, "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."



#2. Sigmund Freud: I know this may seem odd to many of you. Freud is not generally a psychological hero to people of this day and age. I have to say however, that most psychological theories and ideas stem from something Freud thought of first. No, I don't believe in the Oedipus complex or anything of that sort... But, think about it: Freud was the first to theorize about our unconscious, repression, dissociation, etc... I also think he made great strides with the idea of the Id, Ego, and Superego. I also respect Freud's upbringing, although his mother had total disrespect for his other siblings who were not as "smart". Freud also developed a nasty Cocaine habit... which sucked. My favorite Freud quote: "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. "



#3. Nelson Mandela: The former president of Africa who spent 27 years in prison for standing up for what he believed (or in this case, didn't believe). Mandela was an anti-apartheid activist, which basically means he fought against African Segregation. Mandela was anti-violence, which in the end did not help his "fight". After 27 years in prison, being treated like the worst of the worst, the laws against anti-apartheid activists was reversed and Mandela was released. (obviously there is much more involved, but that is a whole other blog). Favorite Mandela quote: "After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. "



#4. Mahatma Gandhi: Gandhi is well known for many things. He was first and foremost a political and spiritual leader in India. Gandhi does not believe in violence, for any reason. October 2nd was declared a national non-violence day in honor of Gandhi. Gandhi lived off of very little. He made his own clothes, and only ate what was necessary. Gandhi was peaceful in all his doings. In 1948 (just a guess) he was shot and killed while on a nightly walk in New Delhi. Gandhi was supposedly shot for "weakening India" by an extremist. How sad for such a non-violent person to be assassinated. Favorite Gandhi quote: "Hate the sin, love the sinner. "



#5. Dr. Phil: Now, I know that Dr. Phil is not necessarily ranked in the same atmosphere as Gandhi and Mandela... but I, for some reason think Dr. Phil is amazing. I don't think it is amazing that he never completed the requirements to re-license in Texas, I don't think it's amazing that he makes 30 million a year, I don't think it's amazing that he cares about Britney Spears. What I do think is amazing is his inventive psychology. He doesn't try to avoid hurting feelings... he tells you what he means, no questions asked. He seems real, although many have tried to tell me that he is a horrible husband and father. They read this on Wikipedia.org... the least reputable website on the Internet. Also, I believe (just as with any famous person) that his life is under a microscope. He seems more crazy than me, because every bit of his life is televised. Favorite Dr. Phil quote: "Sometimes you just got to give yourself what you wish someone else would give you."

2 comments:

Abby said...

If I had a list of personal heroes, I would have to add you to it just for having the common decency to acknowledge that that there is no "as" in dissociation. Just for that acknowledgment, I'm willing to overlook your liking for Dr. Phil. Well... for a little while, at least.

Kendra said...

I agree with you completely! It is NOT disassociation! What is disassociation anyway?? It's dissociation. I'm glad knowing that fact will let you overlook my love for Dr. Phil... even if it is for a few minutes :)