Sunday, January 3, 2010

First book reviews of the year…

 I am not a person who can read and enjoy a book over a few weeks… I have to read a book in a day (2 if it’s long). I hate reading a chapter and putting it down. Because of this, I only read when I know I have enough time to read the entire book (or at least a good long portion of it). If I were interested in reading Harry Potter (which I am not) I would have to read the entire series over a weeks time. This isn’t always easy, especially when I’m taking classes… but since I’m on the tail end of Christmas vacation, I decided to read a few books. First, I read “Shattered Silence” by Melissa G. Moore. This book is written by the daughter of a serial killer (The Happy Face Killer). I got it for Christmas, and was excited to read it! This is one I read in just a few hours. It kept my attention from the first page. (I was excited that it was published in Springville, UT… My home town). In this book, the author (Melissa) explains her suffering, but it isn’t in a way that is normal “I hate my life, I’m going to attempt suicide and drinking and drugs all at once” type of autobiography. Trust me, I have read a lot of books that are like that… and I like most of them… However, I enjoyed the positive attitude the author has throughout her most depressing life. Throughout most of the book I was wishing I was her… Not with a serial killer dad and abusive step-father and that bit… but I wished I had her positive outlook on life… her intuition! Her intuition and positive attitude drew me in, made me understand that life may suck at times… but I am ultimately in control of what happens, and how I handle it. This was not a self-help book… it was an autobiography… but I most def want to get my money back for the nonsense Dr. Phil writes about (no offense Dr. Phil, I still love you). I seriously-so-seriously will probably read this book a couple more times! It gets a 9.5/10 on my review scale! (which by the way means nothing!) :)

image

Next up, I read “Breathless” by Dean Koontz. This book was a FAST read… and if you read Koontz and appreciate his light humor and animal loving self… you will love this book. The book is about a single man with a lovely dog who comes across a mystery in the animal kingdom. Along with a Veterinarian friend and others they go on a search to figure it out…. BUT at the same time other mysteries are happening around the country… These mysteries may or may not be connected to the single man’s discovery. I really can’t describe it anymore without giving it away! If you have never read any of Koontz’s books, it may be a little far fetched for you… but if you’ve enjoyed the Odd Thomas series or “Your Heart Belongs To Me” or any others like those, you will appreciate this book. Koontz has a way with words, they are like candy to my mind… That sounds corny, but it’s true! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the way Koontz describes characters, animals, and eerie situations! So, if you are a Koontz fan, it’s great! If you aren’t, I still think you’ll like the light nature and mystery in it. It does keep you guessing! My rating 8/10.

image

Last, but not least… I re-read “Speak” By Laurie Halse Anderson. Anyone who has known me longer than a few days knows I love to read Young Adult literature. Maybe it’s because I’m a kid at heart, or maybe it’s because they are fast and light (well, most of them), I’m not sure of the reason exactly, but I read a lot! I love the “Magik” series and all the books by Ellen Hopkins (She writes some MAD rhymes!) Anyway… Speak might be considered a Young Adult book… but who cares? It’s GOOD. It’s about a young girl who calls the cops at a high school party. Her ninth grade year SUCKS because of it… Nobody likes her, and to top it off she does not speak. Her parents get SUPER frustrated, along with the teachers (like Mr. Neck who sounds like a total d-bag!) I have read this book before, but read it again today… I don’t know why I picked that book out of the hundreds I have, but it lifted my mood a little. It reminds me of how I need to be… Not a speechless girl, but a strong, independent woman. It is a really great book, and I recently recommended it to my 15 year old cousin. It isn’t a “bad” (by bad, I mean in a parents eyes) book… it is true (well, I think it’s fiction…) But it is true in the sense that people can relate to it!! I sure do! I give this a 10/10 for shiz!

image

No comments: