Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A new book review (and a quick story)

image <-------- sissy drink???

Before I go off on a book review tangent… I have to tell you a funny story. So, as you read, I went to the doctor yesterday. He was a saint and gave me pain killers… which I can’t take during the day because, well, I work with children and I have to stay sharp! Anyway… My doctor (Dr. L.) is actually pretty awesome. He’s pretty young, so he’s got that going for him… and his beard is full and totally coolio. So… As I’m telling him about my horrid headache, whining and crying (like I do), we get on the topic of caffeine. He tells me he drinks A LOT of Diet Mountain Dew. He USE to drink Diet Coke… but he thought that was a sissy drink, so he switched. He also has conspiracy theories about Wal-Mart that are pretty rad. I will tell you those theories at a later time :)

So… On to the book review.

image

Let me preface this by saying I have nothing against those members of the FLDS (or any other religious person). These are solely my opinions and I own them ;) image

This was a SAD book. It is the story of Elissa Wall, a member (former) of the FLDS church. She was raised to believe in the FLDS prophet and priesthood. Her large family struggled through life, and it was difficult for her growing up. At age 14 she was given (for marriage) to her first cousin (an older man). This cousin had always been very horrible to her growing up, and she had no loving feelings toward him. She knew nothing about marriage or sex (they are taught the opposite sex are like poisonous snakes). Her cousin/husband rapes her throughout their marriage (she doesn’t know it is rape until much later). She tries talking to the prophet many times (Rulon Jeffs, then later Warren Jeffs). They tell her to “keep sweet” and listen to their priesthood head (husband).

I don’t want to give too much of the book away, but it is good/sad. I honestly didn’t know much about the FLDS people or religion (other than the bad publicity on TV). It really opened my eyes to the way the members (mainly women) are treated. Elissa Wall had a terrifying and painful life. I would recommend this book. (As a side note, I think polygamy is gross. I don’t think any woman should have to share her husband. Especially with cousins and sisters and such).

9/10 rating for me!

No comments: