Saturday, October 9, 2010

Becoming…

When you are young the biggest question of your life is “what do you want to be when you grow up?” Usually the answer changes from week to week… For me, there are only 2 professions I ever wanted. Until I was about 17 I wanted to be a Cardiovascular Surgeon. Around that time I figured out 2 things: 1. I didn’t like blood enough to see it everyday & 2. I wasn’t smart enough at math and science to be a doctor. At that time I decided I wanted to be a therapist. That was 11 years ago… and my mind hasn’t changed. Now, I am so, so close. In January I will start my internship (so long as I find a placement)… and 30 weeks after that (which seems like a long time, but it ISN’T) I will graduate with a Masters degree in Mental Health Counseling. I will be a therapist. I can’t believe it. In a very short time I will be what I’ve always wanted to be. I will be the first in my family to have a Masters degree… and I thought a bachelors was cool!!

I spent a week in Phoenix preparing to be a therapist… It was physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausting (and HOT)… but I learned a lot and I honestly feel so much more prepared! Each of the track 2 students had to be video taped conducting a therapy session. The session wasn’t bad, but being video taped was pretty rough :) I met a lot of cool people and learned a lot of cool stuff. I am SO ready to be done… to be a LICENSED PROFESSIONAL COUNSELOR! This is a big deal! :) :)

Parker has been in California… he won’t be back for another week (it’s potato harvest here in Idaho). Man, do I miss that kid! He’s my cute little side kick! I didn’t realize how attached I have become. I can’t wait until he’s back!

Enjoy some photos :)

memarilynn Marilynn and I (we were in the same track 1 and track 2!)portfolio me My portfolio! Portfolio fair.

video1 The video camera…..video2 It wasn’t AS bad as I thought it would be………………….

2 comments:

Unknown said...

um is there a reason your doing therapy in a closet? Love it :)

Kendra said...

Haha! The other students had to watch the video taping on the other side of the room... but the microphone kept giving feedback... so we had to put the equiptment in the closet! It was nice to not have to see the other students watching us... but the whole closet thing was crazy! LOL