Sunday, February 14, 2010

A new book review

Happy Sunday peeps. Okay, so I just finished reading “Switching Time” by Richard Baer. This book, written by a psychiatrist, is about a woman with Dissociative Identity Disorder (formally, and more commonly known as Multiple Personality Disorder). For many reasons I have a HUGE interest in Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID). I’ve had this book on my shelf for quite some time, and decided to finally read it. It is one of MANY I have read on the subject.

First, if you don’t like reading books that involve child abuse/neglect, DON’T read this book. It goes pretty deep into the woman’s childhood, which includes SEVERE sexual, physical, psychological, and emotional abuse. It follows the woman’s life through therapy and recovery, and a whole lot of pain. What an inspirational book! It is sad… It is painful to read at times… but I found it very interesting, and thought the psychiatrist did a great job at telling the story of his patient.

Many people do not believe DID exists… That it is a disorder made up by a mentally ill person. This might be true for some, but don’t be too quick to assume it isn’t “real”. You may actually know someone surviving this disorder! Mental illness is rough… but it is very interesting to read about. Or, maybe it’s just me… and that is why I’m going to be a therapist :) Who knows!

If you are interested at all in mental illness, or want to read something pretty cool… read this book! I give it a 9/10!!

 

image

I am currently reading a book called “Sickened” by Julie Gregory. It is a story about Munchausen By Proxy (another VERY interesting mental illness!) Stay tuned for my review! :)

No comments: